1965 TVR Grantura 1800S
We are delighted to be offering a piece of TVR motorsport history. Chassis 18/001 was Martin Lilley's first production car after he took over TVR in December 1965.
Martin Lilley also owned Barnet Motor Company and 18/001 was a works car which was used as a demonstrator and competed under their name until sold to Peter Clarke in 1967. The car was raced by Gerry Marshall and Tony Lanfranchi at Brands Hatch 500km in May 1966 then in club races through 1966/7. It then raced at the 1967 Nurburgring 1000km by Peter Clarke & Ted Worswick. Subsequently the car was owned and raced by Mary Wheeler (founder of the BWRDC) and others before being put into storage for many years.
This lovely low mileage example has therefore spent much of its life in storage or as a competition car. It has just received a full specialist restoration, carried out by Willie Green, and has new HTP papers. The chassis was found to be remarkably well preserved and is original. All of the running gear has been fully rebuilt and all safety equipment renewed.
Fitted with a fresh all steel Denis Welch 170-175 bhp 1850 MGB engine with a new aluminium cross flow head and carbs, new steel crank, steel rods, forged JE pistons, Piper full race cam, Vernier sprocket, very light steel flywheel and new competition clutch. New heavy duty propshaft, 4 synchro gearbox with new close ratio gears, and a 4.1 diff with new lsd.
The TVR is absolutely on the button and has been tested recently at Silverstone completing over 20 laps without any problem. A superb car with great history which even appears on the computer video game GT Legends!